Oglethorpe University is a private liberal arts college in Brookhaven, an inner suburb of Atlanta, in the U.S. state of Georgia. It was chartered in 1835 and named after James Edward Oglethorpe, the state’s founder.
Chartered by the state of Georgia in 1835, the university commenced operations in 1838 with four faculty members and about 25 students at Midway, a small community near Milledgeville, then the capital of Georgia.
Oglethorpe’s most distinguished alumnus from the antebellum era was poet, critic and musician Sidney Lanier, who graduated in 1860.
The university closed in 1862 due to the Civil War when its students were soldiers, its endowment was lost in Confederate bonds and its buildings were used for barracks and hospitals.
In 1870, the institution was briefly relocated in Atlanta at the site of the present City Hall.
In 1872, Oglethorpe closed its doors for a second time.
Oglethorpe University was re-chartered in 1913, and in 1915 the cornerstone to the new campus was laid at its present location on Peachtree Road in Atlanta.
Oglethorpe University is listed on Georgia’s Registry of Historic Places.